Sunday, April 17, 2011

Get Rentally ILL With Westside Rentals...A Local AssClown



What is the deal with the Westside Rentals dude. OK I know the deal. A few years back I noticed this guy at UCLA Basketball games...acting a fool with his trademark dance. In the beginning, he was less known, and appeared to just be a crazy fool without a cause. Now, years later I am aware that somehow this man used his ridiculous antics to advertise for Westside Rentals. And make $60,000 a year? I also was lucky enough to spot him at The Brig on Abbott Kinney in Venice one Monday night. Sam Ronson was spinning, the crowd was looking young and sexy, and in comes in the LA's ultimate F-list celebrity, 1 rung below The Cobra Snake and 1 rung above the homeless man who used to sing "DAY-OHHH" and roam around Westwood. Dressed normally, I almost didn't spot him, until I saw the bright orange headband. He just couldn't resist. Naturally, my buddies and I were overcome with laughter, and ran to greet our beloved Rental Man. Without a single word, and the flash of a hang, he stopped us in our tracks and made it clear that he was here to do his thing as himself, NOT as the Westside Rental Man. Despite the scene we caused and the HEADBAND, he was MACKIN' nonetheless, and one of the girls I was with -- A Kenyon College student who will remain nameless, thought he was slick enough to get her number. WOW.

Well, love him or hate him, Philip Parks has become a local icon in Los Angeles, inspiring headlines and quotes like these that I found online:
Westside Rentals Man Jackass Still at It, Endangering Self, Motorists

"My girlfriend never has an unkind work for anyone, really. However, she speaks of "Westside Rental Man" with a disdain that I previously thought her incapable of. I also find him terribly annoying. He's like a human pop-up ad that won't go away."

"He's annoying to the point where I start feeling bad because he's obviously mentally ill and I start to feel intolerant and judgmental. Last time I saw him he got removed by security and made a big show about it by continuing to dance while they threw him out of the arena."



From the man himself:
DONT BE A RENTALMAN STRANGER IF YOU SEE ME COME ON UP AND SAY HIGH AND ALSO I DON'T BITE I JUST DANCE AND KOOK OUT SO LEAVE A COMMENT ON THE PAGE AND TELL ME HOW I AM DOING. I WOULD LIKE YOU TO ALSO SEE THE NEW U TUBE VIDEOS THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED ON MY U TUBE PAGE GO TO U TUBE AND TYPE IN RENTALMAN RentalMan is your Superhero













He goes on a wild rant about the Writers' strike in a crazy flow


Even Nate Robinson was spotted mimicking his trademark dance at Staples Center when the Lakers hosted the Oklahoma City Thunder. Here's my video takes of his best dances from game

0 comments:

Post a Comment